Research Assistant(s) for Concentrated Solar Thermal Technologies
CyI — The Cyprus Institute
The CyI invites applications for Research Assistant(s) for Concentrated Solar Thermal Technologies. The successful applicants will join the Solar Energy and Desalination Group (SED) Group of the Cyprus Institute (CyI) and provide support to the development of the Scientific Work Programme of the CySTEM ERA Chair under the supervision of the Chair. The main field of research is in Concentrated Solar Thermal (CST) technologies and the selected candidates will be expected to support the ERA Chair in research activities on this field, which are aligned with the scope of the Scientific Work Programme, contributing to its successful execution.
The goals of the Scientific Work Program of the CySTEM ERA Chair are:
Increase the specialisation of the SED Group in:
- The development of concepts of small CST poly-generation systems aimed at islands, small isolated communities, and other niche markets based on solar tower technology;
- The design of solar receivers as key components of the small CST poly-generation system concepts just referred;
- The development of concepts of heat process applications and system concepts based on Linear Fresnel technology;
- The development of advanced techniques for the characterisation of solar radiation and other environmental conditions of potential solar systems sites drawing upon the already established expertise in atmospheric modelling.
Enhance the in-house capabilities for:
- Overall CST system modelling and analysis;
- Basic and detailed design of solar receivers for solar tower technology;
- Prototyping of receivers;
- Testing of receiver prototypes and overall system configurations;
- Cost assessment and techno-economic feasibility studies.
Ensure that the SED Group becomes a reference group at the international level in at least two of the four research specialisations indicated in point 1 by, among others, carrying out the following actions:
- Increase the scientific productivity of the group;
- Increase the linkages of the group to the international solar research community by substantially enhancing the group’s networking activities;
- Improve existing solar research capabilities;
- Enhance local outreach;
- Enhance the Knowledge Management practices and culture at the SED Group.
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for helping to shape and advance the Cyprus Institute’s and EEWRC’s research agenda and specially the development of the CySTEM ERA Chair Scientific Work Programme. According to their qualifications the selected candidates will be required to carry out, under the supervision of the ERA Chair, some or all activities related to:
- Modelling of CST systems using Modelica, Mathematica, and other scientific programs;
- Construction, date-entry and maintenance of databases related to the scientific literature and the mapping of CST research groups around the world;
- Generation of content for the SED Group Confluence Wiki;
- Development and maintenance of scientific computer programs in C++, using Qt libraries, and MS Visual Studio C++ Compiler;
- Participation in the design and implementation of scientific equipment related to enhancing the testing capabilities of the SED Group;
- Participation in the activities related to the execution of the SED Group budget, such as participation in the specification of the characteristics of scientific equipment and software to be purchased by the group.
Participation in the activities related to the execution of the SED Group budget, such as participation in the specification of the characteristics of scientific equipment and software to be purchased by the group.
- A Master’s degree in Mechanical engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or any other relevant qualification matching the needs of the job description;
- Excellent interpersonal skills aimed at maintaining contacts in academic, business and governmental circles;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage.
Preferred skills and knowledge
- Experience/knowledge of Concentrating Solar Thermal technologies is desirable but not required;
- Good knowledge of Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Optics;
- Gook knowledge of modeling of energy-related systems preferable CST systems;
- Knowledge and interest in scientific programming, preferable in C++;
- Knowledge in database design and exploitation.