All international applicants for whom English is not the native tongue must provide proof of competence in the English language.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of mathematics.
Scholarship Award: The BMS offers scholarships, both for Phase I and for Phase II students, funded by the German Science Foundation DFG in the framework of the “Excellence Initiative” and by the three Berlin universities. The application for a scholarship can be included in the application for admission, there is a special section – no extra application materials are needed.
Phase I scholarships: Typical Phase I are granted for 18 months (extendible by 6 months), and amount to at least 800 Euro per month, tax-free (no insurances included).
Phase II scholarships: Phase II scholarships are typically granted for 24 months (extendible by 12 months), and usually amount to about 1468 Euro per month, tax-free (no insurances included). There are extra child-care funds reserved for BMS-students who take care of children.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarships:
- Students entering Phase I of the BMS are expected to have a bachelor degree, or equivalent. (Thus, in particular, Berlin mathematics students in their “Hauptstudium” can apply for membership in BMS. For students who are further advanced, part of the Phase I course requirements may be waived.)
- For entering Phase II, students are expected to have a master degree, or to pass the BMS Qualifying Exams. (In particular, they thus satisfy the regular admission requirements of the Berlin universities’ PhD programs.)
Nationality: Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have masters degree.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: University do not require a hard copy of test result by post, therefore they no longer list our TOEFL code on their website. Simply upload your test result to your online application form by the given deadline. As well as TOEFL, they also accept IELTS and CAE.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online. Documents Required To Apply
- Online Application Form
- Two Letters of Recommendation (pdf)
- Statement of Financial Resources (online form)
- Personal Statement (pdf)
- Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
- University Transcripts (pdf)
- Proof of Proficiency in English (pdf)
- Research Statement – Phase II applicants only (pdf)
Application Deadline: The application deadline is December 1, 2017.